Monday, July 22, 2013

Class, Today's Lesson will be Taught by Mr. Masterchief

            Hopefully some of the people that read this know about the Halo franchise, if not please visit the Wikipieda Link or the Official Page for details. For the purposes of this post I will only be discussing Halo: Reach.
           Before even getting to the gameplay itself, I think its worth noting that when in the Matchmaking menu (for playing on Xbox Live) the game has what they call a "Veto System." Meaning that there are three maps to choose from and the players in the game vote on which one they want to play. They can choose any of the three maps and also the option "None of the above" and the option that has the most votes is that which will be played.  This can teach kids about democracy and the action of voting possibly before they know the importance of it.
Another option when getting into the Matchmaking menu is that you can choose what type of game you play. You can have the traditional Slayer option but also there are games such as Capture the Flag and other slayer options that have objectives assigned as well. These team objectives allow players to sometimes strategize verbally (with a headset, but only young'ns use those) or have to use their intuition and strategize without talking to their teammates. For example, for the successful capture of the other team's flag one person needs to get the flag while being guarded, heavily. Another person needs to be outside the door (there is typically a door or arch or rock of sorts), another person needs to be in a vehicle if possible (mostly for the larger maps require a vehicle) and one person needs to be guarding your flag. There are many different ways to play Capture the Flag but they all require teamwork. In the traditional Slayer option, there can be one person that carries the team (not it!) and everyone can do minimal work or practically none at all. But not in the games with objectives.
        Kids can also learn about consequences from playing Halo: Reach on Xbox Live because if you betray a team member (even if it was an accident), that person gets a message on their screen asking them if they want to "Boot" or kick you out of the game because you betrayed them. This is great way for kids to learn cause and effect.
        So I think there are a lot of things that kids can learn from Halo: Reach, but I don't think any of them could be readily applied to a classroom environment, mainly because the game is incredibly violent (lots of assassinations! Yes!). Maybe its because I play it so much and never have this thought in my mind while I am doing so. I will definitely be posting another blog about this after I have more time to play the game with the teacher mindset.



Also, Here is a video of a King of the Hill game. For a taste


8 comments:

  1. Destiney,
    This is a very informative post, for someone like me who has never played Halo (or really any recent video game lol).

    You conjecture about the educational uses of the game:
    " Kids can also learn about consequences from playing Halo: Reach on Xbox Live because if you betray a team member (even if it was an accident), that person gets a message on their screen asking them if they want to "Boot" or kick you out of the game because you betrayed them. This is great way for kids to learn cause and effect."

    I think these are great ideas and the way to make them truly "academic" is only through explicitly telling kids to explain cause and effect. I can see these games being a great tie-in to a lesson on cause and effect, perhaps in as part of a logic unit or an English (or foreign language) writing exercise.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad someone tackled Halo! I thought about doing it, but I wasn't sure that I could make a strong enough case for it being "educational". You bring up some aspects of the game that I never would of thought of though, such as the veto option, which pose an opportunity for learning. I've played an unnecessary amount of Halo throughout the franchise; much of that has been online. I think that it's hard to develop teamwork with people unless you party up with them. But if you play with your friends, you end up working on communication, strategy and the other things that you mention in your post. Can you think of a game that can result in these same learning opportunities that isn't an FPS? I'm trying to come up with one and I'm drawing a blank. Anyway, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't played Reach on campaign in a long time but I think if we looked at it through the "educator's eye" we might be able to find something in there that is educational in some way. Maybe learning about other cultures or the whole invasion thing. All the halo games have an underlying theme of invasion and conquering other lands/peoples, I think at least. I think other games that could involve teamwork and strategy are sports games that involve teams, perhaps they're an obvious choice but if you're playing Madden, NHL, or the NCAA football game you have to know about the game but if you're playing with friends you have to talk with them and tell them where to go and work as a team. But lets be honest, FPS's are the bestest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really cool post. Halo is one of those games that our students are going to be playing whether we like it or not. I think it is very valuable for us to keep in mind that there are very important lessons that students are learning from the various non-school related things they do. It could be very useful to know about what they are doing and bring it up in class. If a student who you know plays Halo, for example, is struggling in a group work environment, you might ask them how they handle teamwork or collaboration in their games. It might be difficult to relate this game to your content goals, but not your educational goals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping "King of the Hill" was a clip from the animated series. Bummer.

    I don't know if any of our summer school kids play this game but I know that some are REALLY into gaming - have you talked to any of them about the games they play? I think it's interesting that some of the quietest kids are the ones I know are the biggest gamers - I wonder if they are more into the role playing games as opposed to the more violent Halo type games? Now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder if RPGs contribute at all to kids socialization? My assumption is that they would detract but all this talk about video games is getting me thinking. Back to Halo, I think your insight into how the game is played together and how kids may interact with it is super interesting and I wonder if anyone is studying "virtual" teamwork and accountability and it's effect on adolescents in real life?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have talked to two students about video games, and its all Basketball, Racing games, and another first person shooter game called Call of Duty. They also happen to be the two quietest kids in our class. Whether or not Role Playing Games prohibit or inhibit socialization is a good question. I think its worth looking into. Possibly for a paper we have to write? Thats an awesome idea. Basically you have amazing ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant to post this a few weeks ago, but only just now remembered. While I was reading some educational blogs, I came across this post: http://blogs.kqed.org/mindshift/2013/07/can-playing-video-games-give-girls-an-edge-in-math/

    I know you don't plan to be a math teacher, but I thought you might find it interesting and one more reason not to despair when our kids spend so much time on video games. Perhaps we should even encourage it... after homework is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've played Halo a few times. Now, I have an excuse to try to play it again one of these days because it's educational! I love it when our actions suddenly justify themselves! How many versions are there now? I just keep thinking back to the "red vs. blue" animations...had a few friends in undergrad obsessed with it. I found them amusing.

    ReplyDelete