Wednesday, July 24, 2013

I have a Quest-ion,

So in class two days ago we talked about how we could incorporate video games into our classrooms. Whelp, here is my idea.
My subject is French so I would have a map of ancient France, probably pre-Crusades era on the wall. Plus all of its territories at the time. A huge one. Probably the whole wall would be taken up by it. Maybe a mural- that would be awesome!

Each student would be able to pick what camp they wanted to be in, the Gauls or what have you.
Each assignment would be a quest and when you get to a test you would be in the castle. After the test is conquered the castle is yours and your territory increases.  Each assignment would be worth so many furs, arrows, horses, chain mail, or gold coins and with those coins students would be able to go to market to buy food, land, animals, an army, etc.

For special assignments or biographies on people of the time or something the people could visit their castle and they would have to “host” famous people. Learn about them in order to know what they would like or something. Kind of like drawing a card in Monopoly.


When we got to Modern Europe we could use plans of attack from WWI and WWII and more modern things to trade and make money. I think it would make the class a little more fun and hopefully more interesting for the students. I know it would make it more interesting for me, but thats not the point.   

4 comments:

  1. Intriguing! I like the idea of creating quests for students to achieve with incentives of coins/points/virtual money... Would these be tied to any sort of in-class value? Would you be able to buy real things? Of course, that might involve a few risks...

    On a completely unrelated note, what does it say about STEM vs. non-STEM that when I read your subject, I got really excited that "Quest" would have a charge like in chemistry? I started trying to see what it would bond with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen the board game EuroRails? They re-made a US version called Ticket to Ride (fun, but not as cool as EuroRails) that you might have heard of? Anyway, your game made me think of it, abstractly and I just wanted to tell you about it in case you ever find a copy, I think you would get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EuroRails sounds so fun! You have to tell me more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really cool idea! I think that students would be so much more engaged if they referred to assignments as quests and they had castles to conquer. You would definitely be the cool teacher in school :-). I think this could even be implemented on a small scale like just for one unit to try it out and gauge student interest.

    ReplyDelete