Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Super Deep Reflection

After going to class on Monday I realized that my previous post was sort of lacking. OK It was REALLY lacking but I was exhausted when I wrote it. So here I am all awake....prepare to be mind blown.
BAMN!


After listening to my fellow group members explain their programs (gooru and diigo) I realized I lucked out sort of because I had been assigned Evernote. Like I mentioned, I had only used the iPhone version of Evernote and was not aware of the other possibilities it contained. Most of the awesome possibilities are only available to those that pay for it, such as pdf annotation and the program that goes with Evernote or is compatible with Evernote is Skitch. This program sounds way cooler than Evernote itself. I am hoping that before the fall semester starts I will have time to really dive into Evernote and maybe pay for it. I think its about $50 a year but if it really helps then it might be worth it. There is a business version that I think would be even better to use because it has more collaborative tools and in a class setting that might be super helpful.

The things that I learned in class are more about my classmates and the class dynamics than anything else. Mainly because I felt it was very hard for us as a class of 20-23 to decide on a simple question to ask during 20 questions. It got pretty heated I think but it could be my easy going/joking attitude that makes me believe that. I think it was a good learning experience for us because we're going to be together for the next year.


Toodles!

3 comments:

  1. I liked how you talked about the 20 questions game as a good way to build community in the cohort. It's interesting that the 20 questions game was to get us thinking about skepticism and online researching but that you were able to take away another important concept - teamwork. Could be an example of how to incorporate multiple concepts or lessons into one lesson in our classroom? (I'm specifically thinking about education for sustainability workshop and interdisciplinary teaching) Cool! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your handout! What did you use to create it? I would like to learn more about evernote and the other apps that you can use with it. I just recently started using it in our classes and I do not think that I have figured out all of the things it can do for me. I need to explore and learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the 20 questions activity pretty interesting, wondering about what makes something a game and what makes it just annoying and a no win situation. As Jeff was pointing out, "Ok, now why did I hesitate when I was writing this on the board? What is my body languge telling you?" I found myself thinking of how much we say without our words. A Lot. In addition to that I was thinking, "What's the purpose of this game? What does this have to do with our teaching anything?" And of course, he was leading into something, what goes into a good game, and the similarities between what will cause someone to keep playing a difficult game, and what they're willing to do if they want to go far in the game. Excitement, risk taking, failing, starting again with new knowledge you gained from failing, trying to get the prize, trying to move on to the next level... You're right though, there was some tension in the class that day ... people were pretty agressive about what kinds of questions they wanted to ask or not. Who knows, maybe it was stress carried over from another part of the day.

    ReplyDelete